A warm welcome to the Maldivian Community Foundation
The Maldivian Community Foundation is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation registered at the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Community Empowerment of the Maldives (reg. no. CR/158/2019), and registered as a tax exempt organisation at the Maldives Inland Revenue Authority. Our aim is to enable individuals, communities and partners to sustainably administer their charitable and philanthropic aspirations. We would do this through the management of donated funds and disbursement of grants, scholarships and financial aid.
We envisage a nation that is inspired by Islamic values and united to care for one another.
Enabling individuals, communities, and partners to sustainably administer their charitable obligations to God and to the people in need.
We aim to follow the well-established community foundation model, tweaking it to the Maldivian context, and thereby positioning ourselves as the premier fundraising and grant making organisation in the country. We shall provide tools and instruments for the Maldivian community to partake in perpetual charity (sadagah jariyah) and philanthropy, and support the non-governmental sector by providing grants and technical assistance. We shall also be working closely with the government and national development partners to strengthen the governance and accountability of the non-profit sector.
The community foundation model is a new concept to the majority of the Maldivian public. Therefore, having recently being registered (on 25 December 2019), one of our first tasks is to create public awareness and understanding of the model and its benefits, as well as it’s potential for meaningful and sustainable impact. We will develop and introduce instruments through which the community can start their philanthropic journey as soon as possible.
- Promote, encourage and facilitate sustainable charitable giving among Maldivians and residents of the Maldives
- Promote, encourage and facilitate sustainable philanthropy and social responsibility among the business community in the Maldives
- Provide financial assistance and support for those in need and the most vulnerable segments of the Maldivian and global communities
- Support the development and operation of the Maldives’ civil service sector through sustainable financial support mechanisms and capacity building
- Support social harmony, justice and sustainable development
- Be a leader, partner and stakeholder in national development
- ACTION: We believe in the power of unity and that small actions can collectively make huge impacts
- EMPOWERMENT: We believe in the importance of a thriving, empowered and well-funded social sector for the development, health and well-being of communities
- UNITY: We believe that non-profits are most effective when they collaborate to achieve common goals and objectives. We believe in the importance of networking and partnerships between the civil, private and government sectors for the development of the nation and the world
- PROFESSIONALISM: We believe that adhering to international practices and principles for nonprofit excellence would lead our organization to a higher level of accomplishment, accountability and sustainability
- STEWARDSHIP: We strive to make our decisions and actions be governed by sincerity, integrity, compassion, and social justice as outlined in the complete teachings of the mainstream Islamic religion.
- VISION: We believe that we can make a difference for our communities; for this life and for the Hereafter